Saturday, March 04, 2006

Fun Night

So last night I went to the rugby with Lisa, it's probably been about 14 years or so since we both went to the Willows together. I'd been to the rugby since, though I can't recall when the last time I went to the Willows was. Well last night was so much fun.

It started out I guess at around 4pm when at my mum's she commented that it's snowing. I took note, but didn't expect much of it, over the past couple of weeks it had attempted to snow, but only in little flurries and nothing stuck. I looked up, it wasn't too bad, but within 5 minutes it was full blown British blizzard. I call it a British blizzard, as I'm sure that those that live in places where blizzards are common wouldn't have called this a blizzard. The snow stuck and it started build up, and up about 2 or 3cm's of snow within aroun
d 90 mins. The match was in doubt I felt, only because of the late start of the snow and the density of it. So on getting home I checked for the latest and the match was on.

Lisa and I set off around 7pm, which was sort of early, but as we were walking and not walking at any great pace it took us a while to get to the ground and get ourselves in the ground. On seeing someone I knew, and a breif chat, Lisa and I went and found somewhere to stand, and so we were there, in the middle of the Wigan fans, but we were there all the same
(we knew it was the Wigan end, so it was no suprise). The pre-match entertainment, well it could be called that, but the PA system needed some work, but that's another story for the club as they want to build a new stadium and won't spend on the current one till they get the outcome of an inquiry.

Still the game came and the first half was enjoyable made all the better by Salford winning at the half time hooter. After another 10 minutes or so of similar entertainment that we'd encountered prior to the game, as that finished I went to join the line for the food van, but food wasn't on the list of purchases. The objective was to purchase something warm to drink
, and the only thing that we Brits do when at sporting events that we get cold at, we drink Bovril....... At no other time in our lives do we drink Bovril. Still it was a bloody good cup of Bovril, and steaming hot as well, it went down very well. I would have been tempted by hot Vimto (for you Canadian readers, Vimto is a multi fruit based drink made in Manchester, but drank nationwide).

The second half began and much the same as the first half, Wigan pushed for the scores, but Salford defended well and scored further trys. With the game won, Lisa and I walked home, with smiles on our faces and thinking back to all the times we'd been to watch the rugby and found ourselves
moaning about how bad Salford had been. Also we compared it to the enjoyment factor that we both get from watching United. We both agreed that at some point we'll have to go back again. Oh the joys of summer rugby being played in the snow.....
This is the current view from my window, looing out into the outside world. Taken about 5 minutes ago... Yesterday it was so clear and spring like....

No comments: