Thursday, June 22, 2006

Difficult to write

The past couple of days have proven difficult to write anything here to be honest. My mood/emotions have restricted me to doing very little communicating to be honest, and so I'm starting to rehabilitate that as of now.

Let's start with the pain, the Oilers lost game 7 on Monday... They lost the Stanley Cup final.... They however won over lots of fans, they showed pride and honour in the shirts and that's something we the fans can be proud of. No longer when I attend hockey in the UK will I be laughed at for being an Oiler, I'm sure others will have watched this series and realised that the Oilers are a great club. Yes, I cried on Monday night/Tuesday morning, I'm not going to say I didn't. I couldn't bare to watch the presentation on match day, and couldn't take myself to watch it the following day. I did see the wrap of the programme on from the tv, and watching the highlights of the finals go through sent me into more tears again. The big question of "IF ONLY" came to mind and it set me off.

On a personal level, I've found something out about myself. I've had the Oilers in my heart for years now, it's been tucked away in a little corner, as Manchester United football club has dominated my heart for years. I'm sure that for some Canadian's out there they have a English soccer club in a little place in the heart, but the heart is dominated by a hockey club. The thing is that with United being sold to that fat yank, my love has diminished, so much so that although it hurt to give up my season ticket there this year, the hurt isn't as painful as I thought it would be. This play-off series saw the Oilers little section swell and now it occupies as much of my heart as United.

My loyalties now lie with 2 teams and not 1. My heart belongs to 2 teams and not just a majority. The reason? The way the Oilers showed what a hockey club is all about!! In other words a club that isn't all about money, a club that is a community for it's players and fans alike. The Oilers are a sporting club that Manchester United once were, and that pains me to say that. I'm proud to be an Oiler, my pride in MUFC isn't as strong as it once was.

Thank You Oilers, you made me proud, you made Edmonton proud, and most of all, you can be proud of yourselves.


No comments: