Friday, December 23, 2011

Heavy metals.

It's a Friday, it's grey, it's raining and it's the day before Christmas Eve....  I'm not exactly feeling all festive, not because I don't enjoy this time of year, but I just don't think it feels as festive as it has done in previous years.  Maybe it's the ecconomic climate, maybe it's me getting old, who know's but this just doesn't feel like Christmas.  Yes, the shops have Christmas decorations up, but not many and whilst the normal Christmas tunes are being played, it's not at the normal level.  

So what's planned for today?  Well in the next 40 or 50 minutes or so I'm walking around to my sister's house to see my niece, we are supposed to be going to the local shops to pick up her present, but as it's raining I'm going to guess that she won't want to go, but we'll see.  I don't really want to spend any time at the house, for reasons that have been explained in the past.  However, we'll wait and see, I do hope she'll come with me, as it would be nice to chat.

Yesterday I spent the afternoon at the BBC for another event in the Celebrate Sport festival that they had prior to last nights Sport's Personality of the Year award (well done Mark Cavendish on that, well deserved!!).  This was a show dedicated to the unsung hero's of sport, of which one of those there won the main award last night during the above show.  However, whilst I shouldn't belittle those who won the award, or those nominated, I have to say the highlight was something small, something really trite in many ways considering the show itself.  Gail Emms was there to talk about unsung hero's and how they'd helped her out, in her career, but she'd also brought her Olympic silver medal with her.  She kindly passed it around the audience, and so for what will be the only time ever I held an Olympic medal in my hands.  I was quite surprised at how heavy it was, but it was beautiful.  As I say trite I know.  However, I should point out that I think I broke the lift that myself and a few others including Gail Emms were taking to come out of the event.  It wasn't my fault the doors tried to shut on me as I walked into the lift.  Then when we got down to the level below they wouldn't shut then.  So we had to swap lifts.  

My word it looks shockingly miserable outside, I don't know about my niece not wanting to go out, it has seemingly got worse as I've typed this out.  Mind you it will do me good to get out, as it's close to Christmas, hardly any of the television programmes that I would watch of a morning are being aired, so it's making the day that bit longer.  So going out will break the boredom, and boredom leads to mood swings and mood swings ain't good when you don't like this time of year.  So change iis good. 

No comments: