Monday, November 14, 2005

Flying Time

I know the phrase "Time flies when your having fun" can be true, whilst on other occasions it can be a little less truthful. This time it's a mixture. I have been quite chipper this past week. Ok for all you non Brit's, this is more a term for feeling quite ok, nothing spectacular, but good. Work has proven to be consuming, even though it only seems like yesterday that I was taking the young person I've got today. It's flown by, and though no excuse for not posting in many ways I'm going to use it. I really hadn't realised it was last Wednesday when I posted last.

So since then things have taken place, things I never thought would happen for a long time. For the first time in years, I had my hair cut, by that I've had inches taken off. It's gone from the small of my back to just below my shoulders. It feels so much better, and though I'm a little sad to see the length go after so long it's really refreshing to have shorter hair again. How long before I go and repeat this is up to me, though perhaps I'll have some colour put into my hair next time, so brown highlights, to compliment my natural colours of black and grey.

I'm going to sound like my parents here right now, but I don't care. This past weekend has seen the world remember those who lost there lives in the First World War and any subsequent wars since. While I'm not a lover of war, and for some of the later wars I've got no problems with the deaths of soldiers, for example in Iraq. I do have problems with those from previous wars where conscription meant that no matter if what you had to go and fight. That's just me though. Anyway at this time when our thoughts are with those departed, we had a soccer game played between Argentina and England, two countries who in the last 25 years have fought a war against each other.

By all accounts the UN wanted to make this a game for peace, but this isn't your ordinary teams, there is a history between them. The UN officials are in a state of shock over the fact that the Argentinian's sang songs about the English prior to the game in the dressing room. So what, if it helps motivate them so be it, it was an old folk song, openly sung whilst Brit's had ranches in Argentina. It isn't much really, but the UN have spoken out about it. What the UN have failed to comment on, was what made my blood boil.

The English fans, openly singing throughout the game "What's it like to lose a war?" and "You'll never have the Falklands" towards the Argentinian fans. It's a disgrace, on a weekend when we are remembering the dead the English are glorifying war. No matter what the Argentinian players sang, this has to pale into insignificance to the English fans. It's this type of fan that gives the English a bad name, yes singing songs to wind up the opposition fans is all well and good, it's part of the game. What isn't part of the game is going on about the dead. I was so angry that I wish England had lost the game, I really do feel strongly about this.

Enough of my moan, it does sound like my parents, but I really don't care. I am proud of where I'm from and yes that does mean putting Salford before Lancashire, and Lancashire before England. I presume many would reverse that, but not me.

What else have I done? Well not much really. I was hoping to see Lisa this weekend, but we didn't get chance and didn't get chance to have a chat even though she was back home. I'll email her later on, but apart from that nothing. I relaxed over the weekend, doing not a lot and almost pampering myself to much. This week I hope flies like the last and things get into a pattern. It's all the more fun to be busy than not. I now realise just how under used I was at school.

No comments: