Tuesday, January 10, 2006

How Much?

Well today I finally got to Leicester to see the surgeon who performed some surgery on me way back last April. Now this was the 3 monthly check up, but things being as they are it's just taken place. With cancelled appointments due to bad timing for myself, and then the car accident in August, and a couple of cancelled appointments from them, it's nearly 9 months since the surgery.

Anyway, having travelled down there today, I got into the hospital building at around 2.50pm, got to the clinic area at around 2.55pm. That was lucky as I wasn't sure where I was going, but still found it quite easily. I spoke to the nurse on the reception desk, who instantaniously gave my file to another nurse. I sat down for about 2 minutes before I was called into a room. The doctor came in, he was in the room with me for no more than 5 minutes and discharged me. 5 minutes!! Now most people would be glad of that, but this was after a 3.5 hour drive to the hospital.

If I add up all that it has cost me in terms of fuel, food, fines and recovery and repairs, that 5 minutes has cost me nearly £450. I bet it was nearly £100 a minute for the time I got to see the doctor. I'm sort of complaining as I'm sure that I could have been asked to see someone a bit closer to home, but that wasn't the case and so I've paid out a lot of money for little more than "that's fine, go get some cream from the chemist (pharmacy) and things will be fine".

Still it's over with now, and I ended up with the mother of all pizza's on the way home. It wasn't a big pizza, but it was from the best pizza place that I know. I didn't go the same way back today, I went up to Sheffield from Leicester, and decided that if the pizza place that I really like was still there and if it was open then I'd go get a pizza. This place is in the heart of student land in Sheffield and they have consistantly made the best pizza I know. I've even got friends begging me to drive to Sheffield just for a pizza. That's a 40 mile plus drive just to get there and then the same back. If that person asks again, and is willing to pay for the fuel in the car, then I'll take them. It's worth it for there pizza's.

Well I'm not going to stay too long on this blog, after driving close to 250 miles in little over 6 hours including stops for pizza, a quick chat to the doctor and a couple of breaks to get myself a drink and toilet, I'm feeling weary.

No comments: