Thursday, August 18, 2005

Part 1 finished

So the playscheme that I have ran this year has finished. I'm a little sad, but also estatic that it's over. I've not really enjoyed this year in many ways, mainly as I've not had the greatest set of volunteers. Some of them were very, very good and I would love to see them return, but I know from experience that it's going to be the worst volunteers who are going to return.

On Tuesday, I stayed in the base all day as half the group went to the cinema to see Madagascar. I took the other half the other week, so I remained at the base, only to find my boss and new line manager arrive. It was a shock as I hadn't expected them to appear like that and something which threw me a bit. They may have only been there for around 40 minutes, but it seemed to be for ever and a day. It didn't help when the line manager started to take over, which made me feel really small. After they left, things got back to 'normal' as such. After lunch and the other half of the group returned we had a sports development officer come to the scheme to run through a few games. This officer runs a group for Barnardo's on a Tuesday night during the winter. She really did do a good job and made the afternoon a wonderful event.

Yesterday, I took my half of the group to a local nature point for a percussion workshop. This worked very well, I was shocked that it worked as well as it did. The people that ran it came down to the level of the children and made the session special. I would love to be able to get them to come to us rather than them coming to them. It would make it better and easier for us all I think. During the afternoon yesterday the whole group had a barbaque, and best of all a water fight. The children loved it, and loved pouring bucket loads of water over ME! Ok, so I just sat on the floor and let them do this, but they all enjoyed the chance to get there own back after all the 4 weeks of me moaning at them.

Once the playscheme had finished it was off to base and then the pub. It had been planned that along with some friends, I'd go for a meal last night. Although the most important person dropped out at the last minute the three of us who were left went out and had an enjoyable meal. It was an Italian, but I've had better from there and perhaps will look elsewhere the next time I consider going for an Italian. The journey home was fun, if only for me taking a rather long short cut and getting slightly lost. As it is, I got home feeling rather tired. I'm glad that I've got an appointment today as I probably would have been conscripted to a playscheme today. The reason for this is that the A level examination results are out, which has an effect on the number of volunteers able to attend playshceme's.

I'm going to have a quiet day today me thinks, though I've got some work to do, and a few appointments, I've nothing too major I don't think. Once all the appointments and odd jobs are done I'm going to try and relax. Tomorrow I'm on playscheme's again the mini scheme which I've been working on every Friday and that's it. Tomorrow is the last day of playscheme's for Barnardo's in 2005. It has flown by in many ways and it doesn't seem like 5 minutes ago since we started them, but started them we did and finishing them we will tomorrow. It's certainly a visit to the pub tomorrow night for what is traditionally a big party. Lot's of people getting drunk and some of us tend to end up going out to a club in Manchester for a dance to let our hair down after so much stress and tension.

Once that is done, I've got Saturday to look forward too. It's United's first home game of the new soccer season. That is normally a good thing, and it is for sure!! I'm going to this game and though I've been engrossed by the recent cricket series, I've missed going to the soccer. Bring on Saturday!!!

No comments: